The Rockford Peaches were a professional women's baseball team that played in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League (AAGPBL) from 1943 to 1954. The Peaches were one of the original teams in the league, and they won four championships during their time in the AAGPBL. In this article, we will take a closer look at the history of the Rockford Peaches and some fun facts about this iconic team!
History of Rockford Peaches
The Rockford Peaches were founded in 1943 as one of the original teams in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League (AAGPBL). The league was created to provide entertainment for baseball fans during World War II when many of the male players were away serving in the military. The league was also a way to encourage women to participate in baseball and to show that they could compete at a high level. The Rockford Peaches were one of the most successful teams in the AAGPBL, winning four championships during their time in the league.
Fun Facts about the Rockford Peaches
Here are some fun facts about the Rockford Peaches:
- The team was named after the city of Rockford, Illinois, which is located about 80 miles northwest of Chicago.
- The team's colors were green and white, and their home stadium was located on the outskirts of Rockford.
- One of the most famous players on the Rockford Peaches was pitcher Joanne Winter, who won two MVP awards during her time in the AAGPBL.
- The team was featured in the 1992 film, A League of Their Own, which starred Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, and Madonna.
- In 2006, the Rockford Peaches were inducted into the Women's Sports Foundation International Hall of Fame.
How Many Original Are Rockford Peaches Still Alive?
As of 2022, there are only five original Rockford Peaches still alive. These women are:
- Eileen Burmeister
- Gladys Davis
- Betty Moczynski
- Marjorie Peters
- Mary Pratt
If you're a fan of baseball or history, be sure to check out the Rockford Peaches Museum, which is located in Rockford, Illinois. The museum is dedicated to preserving the history of the AAGPBL and the Rockford Peaches. You can also purchase replica jerseys, hats, and other merchandise from the museum's online store.
The Rockford Peaches were a professional women's baseball team that played in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League (AAGPBL) from 1943 to 1954. You must have heard about them somewhere, and now you are here showing your love for them. You can go the extra mile and buy Rockford Peaches T-Shirts from our store. They are an iconic team, and we feel proud to have them in our collection.
Also see our feature on the Racine Belles!